This agreement contains the entire understanding between 'Portsmouth City Council' ('PCC') and you 'The Client'. It supersedes all prior and simultaneous agreements between us. The only way to change or add to this agreement is to do so in writing and providing the document is signed by all relevant parties. For confirmation of the booking, this contract must be made in writing and accompanied by the relevant non-returnable booking fee. The person(s) who sign the booking request shall be considered to be 'The Client'
Provisionally booked dates will only be held for 14 days. Bookings can only be confirmed once the deposit and booking form have been received.
To secure the date you require please return the enclosed booking form with a 50% deposit which is non-refundable.
The final balance is to be paid one month prior to your event.
Payments can be made by cheque, credit card or debit card. Cheques should be made payable to Portsmouth City Council
All prices quoted are including VAT. In the event of any change in the taxation beyond PCC's control (e.g. increases in the rate of VAT), PCC may vary the price quoted to any extent which reflects the change. All prices are subject to change without notice.
Any costs incurred by Portsmouth City Council in the recovery of monies not received on time, such as legal and/or professional expenses (or any other relevant costs) will be charged to the client. Interest on overdue invoices shall accrue from the date on which payment is due on a daily basis is received.
There is a cancellation charge which is calculated as a percentage of the total value of the booking.
All cancellations must be confirmed in writing. Only once the written cancellation is received will the cancellation become effective.
Cancellation by Portsmouth City Council
Portsmouth City Council reserves the right to cancel any celebrations for any of the following reasons:
- On six months written notice. In this case PCC will refund any payments made in advance, but will have no further liability to the client.
- If any part of PCC is closed due to circumstances beyond our control PCC will refund any payments made in advance, but will have no further liability to the client.
- If the event may prejudice the reputation or cause damage to PCC and PCC will refund any payments made in advance, but will have no further liability to the client.
- On as much notice as practicable if PCC is or will be prevented by any cause outside its reasonable control from complying with its obligations under this agreement. In this case PCC will refund any payments made in advance, but will have no further liability to the client.
- On seven days notice if any payment that is due has not been made by the hirer in accordance with this agreement. In this case there will be no refund of monies already paid.
- On immediate written notice if, having consulted with the client, we believe that the client is (or will be) unable to meet any of the financial or other terms of this agreement. In this case there will be no refund of monies already paid.
Transfer of Hiring
All hirings are personal to the Client and no substitutions will be accepted. If the Client does not wish to proceed with the Function then it must be cancelled.
Any damage, whether accidental or wilful, caused to any property or assets belonging to PCC including buildings, collections, grounds, gardens, statues, plants, paintings, walkways will be the responsibility of the client.
Smoking and Fire
The buildings and grounds are a completely non smoking environment. There are strictly no open flames, permitted in the museum or birth place, this includes candles, fireworks and the release of flying lanterns. For fire safety the number of people in a room hired should not exceed capacity – the number given includes registrars, officials, photographers and any other staff required to be present.
It is strongly advised that clients arrange adequate Event and Cancellation insurance to protect against cancellation costs, damages, public liability etc.
PCC does not undertake to maintain any insurances except those required by law. The client must inform PCC of all material matters of which its insurers should be informed in relation to the intended use of the premises or facilities.
Preservation of Order
The client is responsible for the preservation of good order during the hiring of PCC buildings and gardens. PCC reserves the right to judge acceptable levels of noise or behaviour of the client, their guests and any contractor.
Liability and Indemnity
The client, guests, and contractors use the premises at PCC at their own risk and shall bear the entire risk of all or any of the following:
- Liability and claims for personal injury and death not caused by negligence of PCC's buildings and gardens to the full extent allowed by law
- Damage, destruction, theft or loss in relation to the premises and the property of the client
- Cancellation, except as otherwise provided in these conditions
- Complaints or claims of any nature in relation to the premises and facilities
- All loss or damage by or to any equipment or chattel brought onto the premises by the client, guests, and contractors
- Consequential losses whatsoever
- PCC buildings and gardens reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions giving 14 days-notice
Use of PCC's Buildings and gardens
All persons attending celebrations within the buildings or grounds of PCC buildings and gardens are required to comply with all Licensing, Health & Safety and all other regulations put in place by PCC buildings and gardens.
Any licensing applications will be submitted by PCC on behalf of the client. The client will be liable for the full cost of any licence submission.
Between the hours of 10pm and 6am, The Client will be required to pay for Security. The cost of Security is £30 per hour, minimum 1 hour.
Any children in attendance should be accompanied at all times by a responsible adult. Any outside contractor hired by the client, for the care of children during the event, must provide the management of PCC with a valid CRB certificates, and adhere to the correct ratios of adults to children.
All work of an electrical nature including amplification and lighting within any part of the Museum and grounds must be carried out by PCC's approved contractor.
PCC will not provide a generator for use in a marquee.
Any alteration or addition to the lighting or electrical, heating or power systems is strictly prohibited without the prior approval of PCC and where necessary the utility company supplying the same.
Any cables outside must be properly waterproofed and secured to meet Health and Safety standards.
PCC reserves the right to refuse access to the external electricity supply in the event of a situation that could put members of the public at risk e.g. severe weather conditions, equipment without a PAT certificate.
PCC cannot be held responsible in any way for any unsuitable weather conditions that may arise.
The Client shall upon request by PCC furnish the City Museum and Charles Dickens Birthplace with a copy of the programme
for the function and will not circulate it or make it available to visitors to the function unless approved by PCC and will not deviate from the approved programme without PCC's prior approval.
No Photographs or moving images may be taken inside, other than in the wedding room, except by a professional photographer or cameraman engaged to record the event. PCC reserves the right to delete or confiscate any such pictures or images recorded in breach of this condition. The consent of PCC must be obtained before any picture or images taken inside the building are published in any newspaper, magazine or another print publication or on line or in any broadcast media. This clause is to protect the security of the collections held in the buildings.
All cars must be parked in accordance with directions provided.
- There will be no amplified sound in the grounds
- The consumption of food and drink in the House is limited to designated rooms only
- Furniture and equipment (other than chairs) shall not be moved except by prior arrangement
- No nails, tacks, screws or other fixings shall be driven into any of the walls, floors, ceilings, furniture or fittings or into any trees or fences or other structures
- No preparation shall be used for polishing floors in any of the buildings
- The collections should not be moved once they have been installed
- No candles, naked flames etc.
- No red wine
- Under no circumstances can the collections be used to hold coats, bags, drinks glasses etc.
- Between the hours of 10pm and 6am, the Client will be required to pay for Security at the cost of £30 per hour, minimum of one hour.
- We only allow natural petals or biodegradable confetti in the outside grounds only.
The Client shall make sure that caterers or any other person supplying refreshments or decorations remove after the function all their property by 11.30pm on the day of hire unless otherwise agreed. Any property left after such time may be removed by PCC at the cost of the client.
All contractors employed by the client in connection with the function shall only be allowed access to the property if previously approved by management at PCC. Such approval is within the absolute discretion of the management who shall, prior to giving such approval, be entitled to call for and inspect copies of any intended or actual contracts with such contractors and details of all insurances carried by such contractors.
The Client acknowledges that the event may be brought to an immediate end, without refund, if there is abuse of the premises or the facilities which we feel cannot be prevented or remedied in any other way. The decision of PCC is final.
Fire evacuation instructions
- On discovering a fire or hearing the alarm rasied, ALL guests are to evacuate premises by the nearest fire exit.
- All guests are to leave the premises and assemble at the designated muster point, keeping the roadway clear for emergency vehicles.
- No guests may re-enter the building until advised by staff on duty.